Christian Heilmann wrote:
On 8/14/06, Designer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Christian Heilmann wrote:
> For framesets, where it is a necessity you have XHTML Frameset as the
> Doctype.

Is there something I'm missing here?  If you make a frameset, the pages
which constitute the actual frames are not using a frameset doctype, so
the problem of validity is the same as any other (non-frame) page(s).
Isn't it?

What I mean is that, as an example, your left frame may have navigation
links and your right frame is where the pages will be displayed.  Since
framesets are still included in the W3C specs, it does seem silly to me
that one can't use them in a strict environment.

This is where the modularity of XHTML strict comes in:
With XHTML 1.1, the concept of separation of structure and
presentation is complete. XHTML 1.1 has only one public DTD, based on
the Strict DTD found in XHTML 1.0. Web authors also have the option to
work with modularization. Modularization breaks HTML down into
discrete modules such as text, images, tables, frames, forms, and so
forth. The author can choose which modules he or she wants to use and
then write a DTD combining those modules into a unique application.
This is the first time we really see the extensibility introduced by
XML at work, because instead of having only the public DTDs to choose
from, authors can now create their own applications.

http://www.webstandards.org/learn/tutorials/common_ideas/

I'll take that as a 'yes', then! :-)

--
Best Regards,