Tony Crockford wrote:
you're using an inaccessible frameset when the same purely visual
effect can be done in a more accessible way using CSS.

if you want strict and a framed effect do it with CSS instead of
frames and then all users can access all your content.

instead of asking for target in strict (an inaccessible frameset
attribute) and asking us to justify why you can't have it, why don't
you justify the use of frames, when all they are is a visual effect
that can be achieved with CSS.

My response:
I have to use frames at work.
The reason is that we produce learning resources which can be used on
their own or put into courses which need some navigation for users to
get around.
Framesets cater to this perfectly.
The left frame is used to show the navigation of the resources which
appear in the right frame.
We have users testing this (including using JAWS and Window Eyes screen
readers) and none have ever said it is inaccessible.
For us the benefit of using frames is that we do not have to produce
multiple versions of the same resource.

Downsides include
* inability to bookmark a certain page
* a frameset bug in IE when using XHTML transitional (see
http://www.noscope.com/journal/2004/02/ie-horizontal-scrollbar-bug )
* inability to set frame borders with CSS

Grant