Tony Crockford wrote:
it is driving every page on the site from the one stylesheet and there are a lot of list menus, hence the need to specifically identify them.

Makes sense, but how many #maprolloverlist are there? I can only find one.

Example:

#maprolloverlist li#rollover1{position: absolute; bottom: 18px; left:
173px;}
#maprolloverlist li#rollover115{position: absolute; bottom: 335px;      left:
646px;}

...should work and become a bit leaner as:

#maprolloverlist li {position: absolute;}
#maprolloverlist li#rollover1{bottom: 18px;left: 173px;}
#maprolloverlist li#rollover115{bottom: 335px;left: 646px;}

And...

/*active squares*/
body#map1 #maprolloverlist li#rollover1 a,
body#map47 #maprolloverlist li#rollover47 a{
   color: #000;
   background-color: #000;
}

...should work as...

body #maprolloverlist li a{
   color: #000;
   background-color: #000;
}

...since all #maprolloverlist seem to use exactly the same styling, but
maybe I'm missing something really !important here - wouldn't be the
first time :-)

the one thing that I think is making a lot of problems is my attempt to use Dan Cederholms bulletproof font sizing technique using keywords...

Well, I never use it (and probably never will), and what you have there
is a bit old and outdated. I can't see that as a source for major
problems though.

Anyway, I would use...

body {font-size: 100%;}
...and size down (if seen as necessary) on text-carrying elements
further in. Much more reliable in today's browsers, and prevents
oversized text when subjected  to "small amounts" of 'minimum font-size'
in Firefox and Opera.

I would also add...

#maprolloverlist li a {width: 8px; height: 8px;}

...(or whatever dimension you like) to overcome the 'minimum font-size'
issue in some browsers. Won't help on IE6' 'ignore font-size' though,
but I think you'll just have to ignore that since there aren't any
/perfectly good/ solutions around.
That is, unless you ignore the number in those links (which I can't read
anyway). Then the previously suggested...

#maprolloverlist li a {width: 8px; height: 8px; overflow: hidden;
position: relative;}

...works just fine in IE6 and all other browsers.

If I had the time, then I would also create a pop-up instead of relying
on the browsers own tool-tip. There are a few, working, alternatives around.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no