On 06/08/31 16:35 (GMT-0500) Collin Davis apparently typed:

> There's nothing specious about stating that the option is available
> for users to override author stylesheets if they do in fact wish to
> do so.  They have the option to, in just about any browser.  Is there
> anything untrue about users having that option and authority to
> personalize the settings on their *personal* computer just the way
> they want, and override or disable author stylesheets?

There's a herculean difference in difficulty between using zoom or
changing the default size or switching on or off the author color of
font ability, and acquiring sufficient education to understand CSS well
enough to override author imposition with user styles. As a practical
matter, it's entirely specious to use user stylesheets to support any
claim of ultimate user power over authors.

> The same stands true for overriding user defaults for the majority of
> users, because *they don't know about or care about changing the
> defaults*.  If it's so absolutely important, they can learn - the
> same way people learn to buy a magnifying glass at the store if they
> need to see anything else larger than it is.

What's so absolutely important is respect. Overriding defaults gives
users none. If it's important to you that everything on your screen be
tiny, set your puter up that way with your own defaults. Don't make your
visitors to accomodate your preferences. There's no need for you do be
that rude. Fluid and flexible designs accommodate users and their
browsers, permitting everyone to be happy except those authors insistent
that their preference is best for everyone else too.

The difference between using a magnifying glass and a personal computer
is that what's poured into a viewport isn't inherently small and in need
of magnification. If it's small in a viewport, it's intentional, usually
arbitrary, usually on the part of the web author.

This is not a novel position I take. Our web standards organization
agrees with me. http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/font-size
--
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time
we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."   Galatians 6:9 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409