I think one animation going across the page isn't going to kill people.
Like most scrollers, mousing over it pauses the animation.

And how do I do this with a keyboard? I'm not saying your
implementation is not good (actually it is very thorough), I'd just be
_very_ careful about claiming something is "accessible", as that is a
very subjective matter. Technical accessibility is just assumption.

While I agree that everything should be in moderation, many people seem to
go the extreme: no flash, no animation, no movement.
I think there's room here to have a balance.

No, you just need to provide a means to stop and to change the speed.
Both is very easy to achieve with JavaScript and two links - which are
also keyboard accessible.

In terms of 'crashing' your browser, this is why I'm hoping that the
information is available whether you have CSS or JavaScript turned off.
If anyone thinks it's inaccessible, I would be eager to here why and hope
that you can offer alternatives to make it accessible.

That is the Java Applet, not your example. For some reason their
classes never load properly.