Andrew Cunningham wrote:
Designer writes:

I agree. The thing is, if top, middle and bottom are OK, surely left and right are too? Where do you draw the line? (my own view is that they probably are OK - like Patrick said, pragmatism is the order of the day here, surely?)

In my current projects i try to avoid labels such as "left' and "right" and use something more functional. Using an id of #left or #right in a template requiring UI mirroring becomes rather odd with #left displaying on the right o the page and #right displaying on the left of the page ;)

Agreed, for general elements, but what about for images within a column of text..