On 14 Sep 2006, at 02:32, Kenny Graham wrote:

If it's for your own site then you might as well just do what works
for you, but if it's a commercial site, or something you're doing for
a client, I'm afraid you're in for a world of pain :-(

Luckilly it's a semi-personal site.  It's an interface for a database
used by me and a large group of friends.  That's why I'm able to serve
as XHTML.  I can just say "if you want access, don't use IE".  So
Safari support isn't a complete necessity, but since it's generally a
good browser, I'd rather not discourage its use among my non-nerd
friends.

As a Mac user, I agree that it's worth supporting Safari :-) Given the nature of the site, I don't suppose your friends will worry too much about whether it looks identical from browser to browser. You could even tell them it's a feature :-)

But you mentioning that most mobile devices are buggy with
styles makes me strongly consider solving all this by simply not using
a handheld stylesheet.  Because of the type of site it is, styling
isn't at all necessary.  Each page pretty much consists of:  h1, h2,
ul, h2, ul, h2, ul.  IE may have many more bugs than Safari, but at
least there they can be worked around with something as simple as a
child selector or a conditional comment.

If you've got well-constructed HTML, you're already more than halfway there with mobile support. I've found that, for the moment, it's best to just use handheld CSS to add a touch of colour here and there; support for layout-related elements is too patchy from what I've seen, and there are very few guarantees over font sizing - it's often just ignored. From my tests, people are more concerned about page weight than anything else, with mobile net access tending to be so slow. Clean markup will do it for you every time :-)

Good luck,

Nick.
--
Nick Fitzsimons