I wrote an article about styling a horizontal nav with the IR technique I mentioned previously:
http://www.tyssendesign.com.au/articles/css/single-image-replacement-rollovers-with-suckerfish-dropdowns/

It also includes a bit on how to combine it with Suckerfish Dropdowns, but the first part should relate to what you want.