Opera has a "navigation bar" that users can turn on or off. It sits
 across the top of a page, and is populated by LINK elements in the
 HEAD section of a document.

Do you happen to know any sites that work with this concept? So any sites that have LINK elements in the HEAD section that would show up in Opera?

Mine does...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/toc_7a.html>
...with a few shortcomings:
1: Opera doesn't support hierarchical links all that well, so I haven't
added any 'child' links.
2: Mozilla's support is better, but it is slightly complex to use with
its many dropdowns, so I have not used its support as base.
3: Lynx is superior in its support for link-relations, but that browser
isn't widespread enough to add the extra link relations for.

More about link relations here...
<http://www.w3.org/TR/relations.html>

You may also be interested in PPK's revamped site. See for example
 the "Blogs" page, and activate the "show site navigation" link on
 the left. Is this what you had in mind? -

Exactly. Well, I think there must be a better way to design it, so it
doesn't overlap important content, but in the long run this is what I was thinking about. I guess I shouldn't have titled it "frame-style" - it took people off track with the discussion. But this is exactly the idea - why not provide navigation at all times to
 the user (in a standards compliant way of course)?

I think this page present what you want...
<http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/>
It's as standard compliant as you may wish for, and I think even IE7 can
handle it now.

I use the same 'position: fixed' on my page (linked above), but the
"sidebar" isn't populated with links since it's on a menu page.
The difference is that even IE6 is "apparently" able to support it on my
page, but that doesn't make IE6 "standard compliant", I'm afraid.

More about CSS frames here...
<http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200609/css_frames_v2_fullheight/>

regards
        Georg