innerHTML is good because it's quite a bit faster than DOM methods; if
you don't need to manipulate the output further, there's nothing wrong
with using innerHTML (IMHO; XHTML-fanatics may not agree).

As to the article, I don't really understand what you're trying to do
- doesn't cloneNode() do all that and more?

I thought the same, but it doesn't. The plan is to turn something like:

<h1>boo<h1> into <h1><span>boo</span></h1> and cloneNode() works if
there is only one child node in there. In a case like
<h1><span>bla</span>boo</h1> it'll fail. You need to loop through all
childNodes and clone each of them.

That said, I'd probably use innerHTML there. You can manipulate it
anyways, as all you need to do is to loop through the childnodes
again.

innerHTML is lazy, but not evil. When it comes to heavy HTML
manipulation or pulling in content from other sources it is a time
saver. If you generate HTML from scratch within JavaScript, it is
cleaner to use the DOM methods, as you leave a crumbstrail of
variables behind.

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com