>I'd appreciate any comment that would help me improve this article:
>http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/the_perfect_image_replacement_technique.asp
and
>http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/the_perfect_drop_cap.asp
Thierry,

The most obvious disadvantage of using JavaScript to modify markup is
the inevitable delay: scripts of this nature wait till download is
complete before manipulating the DOM.  The page renders with plain
text and then morphs it into images, creating at minimum a flicker of
un-imaged content for small pages and a more jarring transition for
larger pages and/or slower connections.  It's unsightly.

True, but you can counteract this with newer techniques like
onAvailable instead of onload. I am not a fan of site cosmetics
either, but I'd rather not have to download images for each header if
my browser doesn't support them anyway.

This is more of a philosophical discussion whether any image
replacement is worth the hassle, not the fault of JavaScript.

http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2005/09/busted/

--
Chris Heilmann
Book: http://www.beginningjavascript.com