This is Web pages we are talking about - not operating systems. If I
were inclined to believe what you are trying to say, I would most
certainly drop back ten, punt, and transform my web site into
something that looked like this:
http://www.useit.com/

Why do you try to make them work with design patterns taken from
operating systems and applications then? This doesn't make sense to
me. In most cases I have to go through an operating system with all
these menus to get to a site. Then I get a menu that looks the same,
but works differently, how can you explain that when I am someone who
does not know or care about the limitations of the web? You offer me a
richer experience and you fail to deliver it. Like an escalator that
doesn't run but I need to use it as a normal staircase. To me, this is
an exception and shouldn't be the rule - why have an escalator at all
then?

All this talk about pushing the envelope in web design - and what
people do is simulate UI design of other systems that are inherently
richer. If you copy, at least copy to the full extend, otherwise maybe
put your efforts into creating something that works in browsers but
will not work in a normal operating system. I don't know what that
might be, but it sounds more intriguing and pushing the envelope than
trying to mimick application toolbars.

Pie menus, for example, are very underused.