Chris Williams wrote:

I have this problem, and I use "&nbsp;<space>" and not "&nbsp;&nbsp;".
I find that works, and I haven't seen the space at the beginning
problem.  It seems that UA's can handle the &nbsp; at the end of the
line OK.  I do this replacement with a simple regex in my PHP code.

HTH,
Chris

PS -- it is very correct, it is NOT something for old English teachers.
The Chicago manual, the latest Strunk and White editions, and many
others, still use it.  Just because a random entry in Wikipedia and the
AP don't do it, doesn't mean it's not right...  And browsers don't do it
because it's easier to collapse all spaces, not because it's right.

declare:

i   {padding-right : 1em;   }

then use <i>.</i> in the text.  Not brilliant, certainly not semantic,
but it seems to work. I wanted to avoid a long 'span' and use a simple
(short) tag.

I doubt that anyone can spot an italicised period. .  :-) !

Anyone any good (better)  suggestions?

--
Best Regards,

Bob McClelland