Safari is not to blame it is the Mac (and also Linux) versions of the flash plugins. You get the same results with Firefox on OsX, when overlaying HTML over flash  50% of  the time flash appears above, the other 50% of the time below the HTML no matter which one has the higher z-index or is last in source order.

Note I have not tried the new version 9 of the flash plugins to see if the problem is fixed in them.

I have been told, that you can use an iframe shim to fix the problem. I just have not tested that yet.

Nick

--
Nick Cowie
http://nickcowie.com