Tony Crockford wrote:
Rahul Gonsalves wrote:

There is no mention of flash being *more* accessible than websites laid out with style sheets.

Do avoid quoting articles out of context.

My subject was a question, because I felt that the article made it appear that using CSS was inappropriate and difficult to use for accessibility but Flash held the answers to accessibility issues.

My apologies then. I missed the question mark, and the tone of your
email :-(.

"Website designer, Leonie Watson says: "There's a technology called Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) that allows you to control the way a page is displayed, such as the colour of the text and background.

However, that's quite a new technology, it's only been around a couple of years, and a lot of designers are still very wary of using it. They actually hard code the colours into the web page itself, which means that they can't be overridden by your browser, or OS."

Umm - the way I read this is that CSS aids accessibility, but that
people are scared of using it (TRUE), and hand-code in
colours/fonts/positioning (TRUE) using tables/inline styles/what have you.

if you were a web designer and you read the article, would you be more inclined to use Flash or CSS?

Well, hopefully I'd already be using CSS. Even if I wasn't, I'd sure
like to hear about this new technology that aids accessibility, whether
it was CSS or Flash. If I did enough further reading, then I'm sure I'd
find out and logically move towards CSS :-).

when I read more about Leonie Watson (head of accessibility at Nomensa) I find that she probably has a vested interest in promoting Flash as an accessibility tool.

http://www.nomensa.com/web_design.html
Web Design : Nomensa - Humanising Technology

It's what they prefer to use to design sites.
so the reporter of the article has, in my opinion, presented an
unbalanced and one sided view of how to make accessible web sites.

I couldn't find where they say that they prefer designing sites using
Flash. Their website seems (the few pages I glanced through anyway) to
be built on xHTML 1.0 strict, and where they talk about flash, they talk
about accessibility considerations as well.

If you look at the Nomensa home page, they promote accessibility *far*
more than flash - I see several mentions of accessibility, accessibility
audits, etc, and no use of Flash. Their accessibility page seems quite sensible [1].

Which would suggest to me that the reporter looked through their site, and found someone who was paying some attention to accessibility, and presented their point of view.

Regards,
 - Rahul.

[1] http://www.nomensa.com/accessibility.html