Tim wrote:

Why not just use the W3C icons or the Cynthia icon tested at the page bottom?

I'm not paying someone who knows less than me to rate my site.
Even the RNIB See it Right logo costs money. Why get sucked into a lot of commercial greed?

The W3C or Cynthia badges only attest that a page/site passes automated testing. A proper audit, such as the RNIB's, conscientiously carries out manual testing and user testing. And those human testers cost money, unfortunately...

For the more general discourse, I'd say that "trustmarks" are only as trustworthy as the people who issue them, and the organisations that recognise them as authoritative (same as "certificates" for accessible web design that institutions/organisations issue for passing courses or tests). Also, they're usually only valid at the time of the test, and unless there's a constant, continuous monitoring and reevaluation programme in place, their worth can only be transitory.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com