-----Original Message-----
From: listdad@webstandardsgroup.org
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matthew Cruickshank
Sent: Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:44 AM
To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
Subject: Re: [WSG] getting XUL response from servlet

Nisha Kumari wrote:
> I am writing a application in XUL, which sends request to servlet for
> the authentication of the user. Which internally talk to database. But
> am not able to return response from servlet to XUL, as XUL talks
through
> JavaScript only. And I am not able to return response from servlet to
> JavaScript.

Hi Nisha,

XUL itself doesn't talk through Javascript only. You can browse XUL
pages just like you browse HTML on the web. With HTML you will be
sending the HTTP header "Content-type: text/html", whereas XUL should be

sent as "Content-type: application/vnd.mozilla.xul+xml".

Similarly, just like how you can dynamically create HTML nodes and
attach them to the document using Javascript, you can create and attach
XUL nodes. In both cases you can use the XMLHttpRequest object to make
ajax requests.

In truth XUL is more strict about being namespaced correctly but it
behaves in much the same way as HTML. XULs namespace is
"http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul";

XUL isn't a web-standard (and as such Firefox do not put it in their
Accept headers) so it might be considered offtopic for this list. I
suggest you find a more specific list, and you'll probably find more
developers able to help you, and people more familiar with XUL.

btw, here's a blog post about a XUL+JS/HTML+JS engine I've been
developing (write the interface in XML and it makes both interfaces for
you),

http://plutoblog.onesquared.net/2006/08/10/bear-patrol-2/

.Matthew Cruickshank
http://docvert.org << MSWord to Open Standards (HTML, DocBook)