I've read it before in this list that backgound rendering on xhtml on the body is not always supported for xhtml strict documents. But I found this very strange( i don't know if this already has been a topic): On firefox when I have a background image for my body tag on a xhtml strict doctyped document, I still see the background rendered even if there is no content. But when I only change the extension of the file from .html to .xhtml firefox stops background rendering when there is no content. IE still renders the background.