To: <wsg@webstandardsgroup.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:43 PM
Subject: Re: [WSG] Visited Links and Accessibility

One of the points in accessibility checks is that information conveyed using colour is also conveyed without. The most common way of doing visited links is to have them be a slightly different colour. It's my opinion that in a purely visual sense (because I don't know how screen readers announce visited links) this approach is inaccessible.

Its become a major pet peeve of mine that people are not styling visited links at all, many times, now-a-days. I give as an example a recent page I was looking at of Google's. http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1555

In the "old" days the browser would automatically tell you what was visited or not. Now, with css many times people aren't including them and so .... very aggravating. I find that "visited" information crucially helpful when visiting a site, especially something like my example, above.

So, not sure what the best way is, but, I myself, tend to go with a lighter shade of the non-visited. Just do something! :)

cheers
Donna

--
Donna Jones