On 1/13/07, Mihael Zadravec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 1/13/07, Christian Montoya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 1/13/07, Mihael Zadravec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On 1/13/07, Tom Roper <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > The problem I've got a the minute is I've built a page for a client,
but
> > now she would like shadow on either side of the page, I know it would be
> > possible to do it in photoshop/gimp, but the background image is quite
> > complicated, so to 'cut out' the main section, and paste it back with
shadow
> > would mess up the look of the background image.
> > >

> > > So I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what to do, or
even if
> > there is a bit of code that could be implemented?
> > >

> > > The page is still in development, and is not live, but if you would
like
> > to view it, I have uploaded an image to my Flickr account, so you can
see
> > what I'm talking about. The URL is:
> > >

> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/tom_r07/355733167/
> >

> > Hi Tom!
> > You could also create one background image, that wuld be quite big in
> > width... something like 1700 px... that wuold contain middle space as
wide
> > as the site is, with added shadows on both sides...
>
> Goodness, I hate it when people do that. A single huge background
> image is a very heavy solution.
>
> If you have the background pattern positioned like so:
>
> background: color url(image) CENTER TOP;
>
> or TOP CENTER, then the pattern starts from the top-middle just like
> the content does. Then you have the same segment of the pattern on
> both sides of the body content all the time. Then you just take a
> screenshot of your page, cut out what shows of the pattern on both
> sides and the bottom, add a gradient on top that is a "shadow," and
> add those back in. On the sides you use repeat-y to tile it, and on
> the bottom you use repeat-x.
>
> It's a simple solution that doesn't require massive images or transparent
PNGs.

> And if that makes absolutely no sense to you, let me know and I'll try
> to put together an example.

Christian, I was not sugestin the use of  one  big image, but one that is
large in width... and duplicates in hegiht... the same as you explained... I
am sorry, if I wrote a not understandable suggestion,...

I understood the idea, and I didn't mean to come across as angry or
anything. The one of using a very wide but short image is not so bad I
guess, but it is heavy handed. The solution I gave is more complex on
the code side but lighter on the images.

Though I should mention that the part about shadowing the bottom is a
little harder than I first said... but Tom isn't planning to do that
so it's fine :)

Christian Montoya
christianmontoya.net .. designtocss.com