Paul Ross wrote:
I was there at the WSG Sydney meeting last Thursday and was very
interested to hear Lachlan Hunt ("the tallest WSG member" according
to Russ) talking about the "Future of HTML".

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it. :-)

Lachlan's talk raised a lot of questions (which I wished I'd asked at
the meeting but felt like a noob at the time).

HTML 5 was new to most people at the meeting, there's no need to feel like a noob when everyone else around is too. :-)

Is this a fork in the specs road or a "standards war" in the making?

No, I wouldn't call it a standards war, the major browser vendors have already unanimously decided what they will be implementing. It is a minor fork in the road, but it's not a big issue since the other alternative is a dead end. XHTML 2.0 is effectively dead and is relatively safe to ignore. HTML 5 is the most relevant spec. In many ways, it's already far more relevant than HTML 4.01.

There are numerous, significant problems with XHTML 2.0, which make it
extremely difficult, if not impossible, to implement interoperably in
the real world. Although, we recognise the fact that there are some features in XHTML 2 that people like, and many of them have already been incorporated in, or being considered for, HTML5.

If anyone is interested in learning more about, or getting involved
with, HTML5, there are several things that you can do. Read the blog, FAQ or wiki; ask questions in the forum, #whatwg on IRC or the new whatwg help mailing list; or read the specs and contribute to the main mailing list. More information about these is available from the WHATWG home page.

http://whatwg.org/

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/