On Feb 14, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Ben Buchanan wrote:

I don't immediately see the benefit to the UA developers using a
custom rule... Why not just use the real thing? I can only assume
there's something about the process that I'm not aware of.

Take border-radius.
When it was first implemented in Gecko, centuries ago, they used (and still use):
-moz-border-radius-topleft
that was more or less what a then draft was suggesting.
Fast-forward, WebKit uses
-webkit-border-top-left-radius
according to more current drafts.
The advantage of using vendor prefixes for experimental properties is obvious.

Once a CSS3 draft enters a more stable stage (last-call) or similar, the vendor can always alias their implemented name to the real thing, internally.
Who knows what the real property name will be ?

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
<http://emps.l-c-n.com>