Christian Montoya wrote:
On 2/16/07, Chris Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Due to the discussions and hope generated in the web world around HTML5 I too am switching back to HTML4.01 Strict. XHTML of whatever flavour seems to elicit mutterings of consternation, and there isn't a good enough reason to
stick with it.

XHTML is not for your average every-day weblog, forum, or online
store. It's for complex web applications where the value of XML is
actually put to good use and for information systems where things like
namespaces and extensibility are actually necessary. That's why I see
HTML 5 as the next big thing for designers and XHTML 2 as the
be-all-end-all for academia. I'm looking forward to HTML 5 too :)

You've made me think about the whole XHTML2 vs HTML5 thing again (this probably won't end well). There seems to be a lot of argument about how the two will be going head-to-head and only one will win, I think this is the wrong approach. I think it'll be more like having a choice of programming languages, there's a range of choices but you pick the one most suited to the job. I agree with your assessment that this applies to current HTML/XHTML too.

What I normally do is develop in XHTML so that I benefit from the much stricter validation, then I switch to HTML at the end. Probably a weird approach but I agree with the opinion that XHTML should be served with the correct MIME type or not at all.

- Andrew Ingram