How reliable is testing a broswer like IE on a whole different platform?

If you want an accurate test of what the site looks/behaves like for IE,
shouldn't you really be testing on a propper windows box? I don't know for
sure, but I imagine the way programs emulate windows for the purposes of
running particular apps is never going to quite the same as actually running
on the real thing.

That's why I'm a big fan of the Virtual PC solution suggested in an earlier
response. I have IE7 on my main machine and IE6 in virtual PC. Agreed that
it won't help somebody running *nix. But if your are doing cross platform
testing, shouldn't you at least put Windows on a partition on your system
and test it properly? Or buy a cheap old box and wack windows on it.

My system is dual boot Win/Ubuntu, and I have an iBook (Mac laptop, non
intel) as well for testing.

Even a new intel mac with Parallels would be running Windows under
emulation.

I've just had too many times when I thought I'd tested stuff only to have it
break once it's released into the wild. Test in the most authentic
environment you can.

Lucien.

http://www.rubyrailways.com/install-internet-explorer-on-ubuntu-dapper-i
> n-3-easy-steps/

and tell you. But itÅ› 5, 5.5 and 6; not 7.
Regards and thank
> you;
Eugenio.

On 2/18/07, TuteC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've never
> dared to do it in Windows. Now that I running Ubuntu I add
> a question: is
> there a relatively secure way to try many IEs on Linux?
> Thanks in advance;
>
> Eugenio.

> Help: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Lucien Stals
Web Developer
Academic Development and Support
Phone +61 3 9214 4474
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Education is only the beginning.
Let's get on with it.

Swinburne University of Technology
CRICOS Provider Code: 00111D

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended only for the use
of the addressee. They may contain information that is privileged or protected
by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination,
distribution, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited. The University
does not warrant that this e-mail and any attachments are secure and there is
also a risk that it may be corrupted in transmission. It is your responsibility
to check any attachments for viruses or defects before opening them. If you
have received this transmission in error, please contact us on +61 3 9214 8000
and delete it immediately from your system. We do not accept liability in
connection with computer virus, data corruption, delay, interruption,
unauthorised access or unauthorised amendment.