On Feb 20, 2007, at 4:12 AM, Gunlaug Sørtun wrote:

Georg,

- #left is an independent container, so it will, and should, only affect
height of its parent - #wrap.
- #right is on its own, and will not be affected by, or have an effect
on, #left.
- #right - and all containers inside #right - will of course affect
height of #wrap, since both #left and #right are children of #wrap.
This makes it appear as if #right is affecting the height of #left, but
not the other way around. It's just an illusion though.

Now, if you want #left to affect the height of #right, #left must be a
child of #right.

OK, your explanation makes perfect sense and brings clarity for me. I thought since both #left and #right are childeren of #wrap, therefor they must have effect on each other.

Making #left a descendent of #right will not achieve the visual layout I wish to achieve though, if content in the left gets longer than the children of #right - the illusion did work for a layout I made for a site - I need to pray days and nights that client never add extra stuff in the outer left column. All the equal height's examples I saw, do not seemed to have similar layout technique. Is it simply cannot done with table, table-row and table-cell? I played with a few equal height layout technique, and I like yours most.

Best,
tee