       This is a one-way list for WSG Announcements
This email covers:
- Links for light reading
- WSG and Industry events
- Web standards related jobs

If you have an event, resource or relevant job you'd like posted (from any
country), please let me know - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

----------------------------------
LINKS FOR LIGHT READING
----------------------------------

This weeks "links for light reading" are also available here:
<http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2007/06/06/some-links-for-light-reading-127/>

The Ebb and Flow of Social Networking
http://wisdump.com/web/the-ebb-and-flow-of-social-networking/

APIs and Mashups For The Rest Of Us
http://www.digital-web.com/articles/apis_and_mashups/

Semantic analysis: Making sense of the chaos of free text
http://magia3e.wordpress.com/2007/05/29/semantic-analysis-making-sense-of-th
e-chaos-of-free-text/

On Staying Creative
http://www.graphicdefine.org/issue2/stayingcreative

Multiple Classes in IE
http://www.ryanbrill.com/archives/multiple-classes-in-ie/

How to Make a Living
http://blogs.salon.com/0002007/categories/businessInnovation/2007/05/30.html
#a1880

The HTML Scope/Headers Debate
http://juicystudio.com/article/html-scope-headers-debate.php

Smile, you're on Google's candid camera
http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/smile-its-googles-candid-camera/2007/06/04/11
80809390551.html

Avoiding Extreme Accessibility
http://green-beast.com/blog/?p=182

Fancy Form Design Using CSS
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/fancy-form-design-css

Walking Through Your Product Design With Stakeholders
http://www.uxmatters.com/MT/archives/000199.php

What Does Rich Mean?
http://www.boxesandarrows.com/view/what-does-rich-mean

Unclutterer - a blog about getting and staying organized
http://unclutterer.com/

Common Pitfalls of Building Social Web Applications and How to Avoid Them
http://bokardo.com/archives/common-pitfalls-of-building-social-web-applicati
ons/

The Customer Experience
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/nc01/012.html

----------------------------------
WSG AND INDUSTRY EVENTS
----------------------------------

Meetings
Web Standards Group meeting (Melbourne)
---------------
Date: 07-Jun-07
City: Melbourne Vic (Australia)
Microsoft's User Experience Evangelist, Shane Morris, finally deliver a talk
in his home town of Melbourne on a topic that has been well-received in
other cities.
http://webstandardsgroup.org/meetings/index.cfm?event_id=91

WebJam
---------------
Date: 07-Jun-07
City: Sydney NSW (Australia)
If you've done something cool on the web lately, show the rest of us at the
rockingest web event in town. We're looking for 16 presenters to show us
their sharpest recent web work, but they only get three minutes on stage.
http://webjam.com.au/

Vision Australia: Writing for the Web Workshop
---------------
Date: 19-Jun-07
City: Melbourne Vic (Australia)
This practical workshop run by Vision Australia focuses on enhancing the
usability and accessibility of your web content and will teach you how to
communicate effectively with your readers.
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=1653&event=48

Search Engine Bootcamp - Auckland
---------------
Date: 21-Jun-07
City: Auckland (New Zealand)
One day search marketing seminar designed to enhance the skill levels of
anyone already doing either SEO or PPC, 12 topics in total spread over four
sessions
http://www.searchenginebootcamp.com.au/index.php/2007/05/17/search-engine-bo
otcamp-auckland-june-21st-2007/

ReMix Australia
---------------
Date: 25-Jun-07
City: Melbourne Vic (Australia)
Don't miss this two day event in Melbourne to help you rethink what you can
create for the web and how. Choose from over 20 sessions hosted by leading
industry heavy-weights.
http://www.microsoft.com/australia/remix07/

Vision Australia: Web Accessibility Workshops
---------------
Date: 28-Jun-07
City: Brisbane Qld (Australia)
These full-day workshops run by Vision Australia, are targeted at
web-development team leaders, corporate communications professionals and
business managers, along with content authors, web programmers and designers
and web contract managers.
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=965

Ausweb07
http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/index.html
---------------
Date: 28-Jun-07
City: Coffs Harbour, Qld (Australia)
The Thirteenth Australiasian World Wide Web Conference
http://ausweb.scu.edu.au/index.html

Where collaboration tools fit in
---------------
Date: 03-Jul-07
City: Canberra ACT (Australia)
With the rapid spread of collaboration tools such as SharePoint, the
opportunity for new approaches to intranets and information management are
being explored. More immediately, organisations are confronted with the
fundamental question: where do collaboration tools fit in?
http://www.steptwo.com.au/seminars/070703/index.html

Date: 18-Jul-07
City: Canberra (Australia)
This full-day workshop run by Vision Australia is targeted at
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=1653&amp;event=63

Date: 24-July-07
City: Adelaide (Australia)
Vision Australia is partnering with respected usability and accessibility
expert Dey Alexander to offer a unique Writing for the Web workshop.  Dey is
co-convenor of the Web Accessibility Network of Australian Universities and
is a regular presenter on useable and accessible web writing to the
education, corporate and government sectors.
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=1653&amp;event=44

Search Engine Bootcamp - Brisbane, July 26th, 2007
---------------
Date: 26-Jul-07
City: Brisbane (Australia)
One day search marketing seminar designed to enhance the skill levels of
anyone already doing either SEO or PPC, 12 topics in total spread over four
sessions
http://www.searchenginebootcamp.com.au/index.php/2006/10/17/search-engine-bo
otcamp-melbourne/

Date: 30-Aug-07
City: Perth WA (Australia)
These full-day workshops run by Vision Australia, are targeted at
web-development team leaders, corporate communications professionals and
business managers, along with content authors, web programmers and designers
and web contract managers.
http://www.visionaustralia.org.au/info.aspx?page=1042

d.Construct2007
---------------
Date: 7-Sep-07
City: Brighton (UK)
d.Construct is an affordable, one-day conference aimed at those designing
and building the latest generation of web-based applications.
http://2007.dconstruct.org/

Web Directions South 2007
---------------
Date: 25-Sep-07 to 28-Sep-07
City: Sydney (Australia)
With more than 30 leading experts, including a dozen international stars of
the web industry, across three tracks, Web Directions South will focus on
the key technology and business issues of the web in 2007. This really is
Australia's premier event for the web industry. Speakers for 2007 include
* Andy Clarke - Transcendent CSS
* Aaron Gustafson - Javascript and Ajax
* Brian Fling - designing for the mobile web
* George Oates - user experience design for communities
* Bert Bos - co-creator of CSS on the future of Web Standards
* Rashmi Sinha - online communities
* Adrian Holovaty - making data smart
* Mark Pesce - commons based peer production
plus many more new and old faces to educate and inspire us all once again
this September.
http://www.webdirections.org/

Fundamentos Web 2007
---------------
Date: 3-Oct-07 to 5-Oct-07
City: Asturias (Spain)
On the occasion of the tenth anniversary of CSS, A CONTEST has been called
to change the appearance of "Fundamentos Web 2007" site with novel CSS. The
winner and the two finalists will be chosen, out of the most voted designs,
by a committee made up of W3C Spain staff and chaired by the CSS
co-inventor, Bert Bos. The winner and the finalists can obtain an Apple's
MacBook, a Wii console, lodging for two people in Oviedo for the three days,
and attend the event for free. Designs can be sent until 13th May 2007.
http://www.fundamentosweb.org/2007

----------------------------------
JOBS
----------------------------------

Job 1:
Project Manager
---------------
Squiz, creators of the popular CMS MySource Matrix, is an Australian-owned
IT services company with a presence across Australia and internationally.
Due to strong growth and ongoing success in the local market, our Canberra
office requires a switched-on, energetic Project Manager to lead a team of
experts, manage multiple deadlines, and take care of our clients.
 Squiz Project Managers have:
      A demonstrated client focus.
      Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
      Pro-active problem solving skills.
      Excellent time management and prioritisation skills.
      Leadership and team building skills.
      Experience in managing Internet or Intranet software projects (and an
ability to converse intelligently about technical matters).
      Real enthusiasm for web work and demonstrated pride in the quality of
our work.
Squiz is about people, innovation, and service. We believe that attitude and
personality are essential, and we're looking for someone with energy and
enthusiasm, and an interest in getting things done and making people happy.
For further information about either role visit www.squiz.net/careers
<http://www.squiz.net/careers>  or call Melanie Rooney, ACT Regional Manager
­ 6202 1504. Apply by emailing [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Job 2:
Web designer / developer gig in Sydney
---------------
Mathew is looking for a Sydney based web design freelancer who can work
with my client, the Australian Corporate Games to develop their
website further. The role will be to help them spec out and develop new
parts of their website (including some database work) and consult with them
as required. If you are interested, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
details of your experience and portfolio.

Did I miss an event or job in your city? If you have an event, resource or
relevant job you'd like posted (from any country), please let me know -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks
Russ