Guys

I do accept that the customer might wish to avoid sending telemetry data to
Microsoft on CM and for reasons that are perfectly valid for the customer.

In defence of CM in this respect Microsoft are being really quite transparent
as to what is gathered and why.

We live in an Information Age where telemetry is gathered by vendors in all
sorts of ways. My phone sends telemetry as does my laptop and my car certainly
does. I have no idea as to what information is being gathered, when, by whom
and for what purpose.

This feeds into a much wider conversation that has not taken place : who is the
data owner, what are their responsibilities to protect that data or to act upon
that telemetry data.

I know that my car is UK built by a Japanese company and the telemetry is
uploaded to Azure.  If the uploaded telemetry indicates that there is a safety
related issue with my car is Nissan under an obligation to call me? If they
don't and I suffer death or injury is there a legal responsibility? If so, on
whom - Nissan for not having informed me or me for not having correctly
maintained my car (as has always been the case) - even though I was ignorant of
the fact. If there is a legal responsibility then under which jurisdiction?

Interesting times eh?