Lithium will react violently with water.  On lithium
batteries when the cells are pierced, they react
causing a chain reaction and runaway heat.  If this
reaction is in a confined space it will explode.
Valence had a cool video confirming this, but the link
is inactive.

http://www.valence.com/SafetyVideo.asp

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/features/article/0,13190,1124217,00.html

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs