Wow. Mike when you kill 'em, you kill 'em dead as a hammer.

I remember my first year in college. I had an instructor who told me, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right." He never did anything half way. He's my hero to this day. Ha ha.

separately excited motor (no field to excite). Methinks some current limiting/temperature sensing is in order before I add another dead Etek to the pile.

Yeah. Figure that out right away will ya? I've got another etek in the mail already. My very limited knowledge in matters such as this is to toss a Dallas Semiconductor temp probe on the motor and a relay on a cooling fan all bundled to em dash.

Aluminum melts around 1600 F, so I doubt that the slag you see is aluminum. Solder goes liquid well below 500 F depending on the mix. It seems some form of ram/forced cooling is seriously in order for the Ezuki design.

Oh, I know it's solder. I zapped the motor with an IR thermometer just a couple of minutes after melt down and read 160 F if any one was curious.

Mike
--

The Electric Motorcycle Portal
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net/