sticking my nose in here:

I don't quite get the chain noise complaint. I only have gas bikes at this
point, but I push them around all the time
engine off, and mostly they are fairly quiet when running. I hear a slight
noise, but not much, certainly not enough to
be disagreeable. Its true that car makers often use a belt instead of a chain
for cam drives in order to make the engine
quieter, but those chains are moving a lot faster than a drive chain. Maybe I
am just used to it?

Countershaft sprocket size: the rule of thumb at the race track is 13 teeth or
bigger. 12 tooth causes too much chain
wear as the diameter is too small. much smaller chains may have a
correspondingly smaller rule, I don't know, I've never
touched anything smaller than a #428, excepting bicycles. Flat trackers use a
big wheel sprocket, and hill climbers.

Chain grades:  by all means get a sealed O ring chain from a good manufacturer-
it will be much better and
longer-lasting than some machinery chain. A #520 or #530 is very strong - made
for 150 hp- so smaller is probably
advisable. I have had good luck with emailing the Tsubaki or other chain reps
for technical info. They know their stuff.

I have a thing about master links, so I usually cut my own chain to length and
then get the shop to put in the rivet. On
the street a dab of silicone seal ( gorilla snot) on the master link is plenty
good enough, most people don't even do
that. And that way you don't have to go to the shop.

oh yeah, if your sprockets aren't aligned, goodbye chain and sprockets! ( just
lay a straight edge on them )

anyways thats what I do YMMV

cheers