Here are some part numbers for the 8x30mm timing belt I am using.
This is probably a bit of an over kill for my bike.
62375K72 Chain Sprocket
6497K219 Motor Sprocket 38t, not listed currently on catalog page
6497K224 Shaft Sprocket 64t, not listed currently on catalog page
6086K117 Quick disconnect bushing for 1.25" shaft for chain sprocket

You will need to select a bushing to match the shaft and sprocket.  I
went around several times before I got it right.

I agree with Damon that you should not be seeing the brush heating as
bad as you are.  Something else is going on.  A 24V motor would have
to have pretty high currents to move a BMW around with direct drive.
You probably need to run the motor at pretty high RPMs and have at
least 6:1 ratio.

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 5:37 AM, SteveS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Which belt drive parts did you use? I was looking at McMaster last night,
> but the belt drive parts don't have any specs.
>
> I was running 36V on mine. That shouldn't matter though at low speed, right?
> I imagine there it's all about the controller. I'm using an Alltrax 4845
> which should be good for 400A (short term).
>
> Maybe I should put the thing back together and take some real data.
>
> - SteveS
>
> Mark Eidson wrote:
>>
>> I have a 4.74:1 total drive ration between the motor and wheel and top
>> out at 52MPH at about 3000rpm with a 72V pack.
>> http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=1231
>> My motor is a 6.7" with 8 brushes.  My belt drive components are from
>> McMaster-Carr.
>> http://www.mcmaster.com/
>> I really designed my drive ratio for 96 volts but only put in
>> 72.......to save weight and cost.  52MPH is fine for me.  Acceleration
>> is very good. No overheating even in AZ when it is 120F.
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 7:20 PM, SteveS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>>> Like starting to smoke hot (don't tell Jim!). Right from the brushes -
>>> actually one set I think. Could be they aren't set yet as the motor had
>>> just
>>> been rebuilt. All the brush holders were fairly hot to the touch. The
>>> motor
>>> housing was cool. I should have run the brushes in with no load.
>>>
>>> I didn't measure amps - left my Palm with the Alltrax software at work,
>>> but
>>> I bet I was pulling over 300 motor amps.
>>>
>>> I know riding around slow in the yard on grass (the bike) is probably
>>> worse
>>> case, but I really would like a bit more low end. My problem is I have to
>>> climb a gravel driveway when I get home, so I need decent low speed power
>>> at
>>> a lower SOC on the battery.
>>>
>>> I know you run a lower ratio too Damon, though I think my rear tire is
>>> bigger - 19". I calculated I get 2.33 MPH/100 RPM. That gives me 63MPH at
>>> 2700 RPM, so I really can afford a higher gear ratio, as I really don't
>>> need
>>> to go over 50 or 55. The bike seems to roll easily. I did some pull tests
>>> with a spring scale on a flat concrete floor and it pulled easily (I
>>> forget
>>> the value...).
>>>
>>> In any case, I already tore it down and started planning out how to run a
>>> chain reduction to the drive shaft. Actually I think it'll be a better
>>> setup
>>> physically. Just have a bit of chain noise. BTW is there a source for