Hi David,

That is a good description of the two. However, the only thing I would take
exception to would the last comment on the DC drive. Yes, AC motors have a
far better torque curve over the RPM range and the controller can regulate
the power/frequency to the motor to keep it operating at its best. But keep
in mind that unless you are planning to eliminate the (manual) transmission,
you will have gears to help keep the motor in a good operating RPM range.
Very few conversions go direct drive (AC or DC) mainly because of the RPM
range of the motors. While an AC motor can give you a better torque curve
over a greater RPM range, the torque curve on the typical DC motor is
sufficient enough to provide excellent usability, particularly at lower RPM.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while I agree with your analysis of
DC vs AC, I wouldn't dismiss a properly designed DC motor conversion as
lack-luster.

I can think of one particular black EV with DC motor(s) and no tranny that
can keep you in your seat all the way down the road.

Shawn

  _____