Hi Greg and all,

Thanks for sharing your views on this important subject.  You make excellent
points.  I have to say, however, that there is absolutely no difference
between your views and my views on this subject.  All that is needed here is
a little clarification and elaboration, so let me try to explain the
situation.

Many of our FLEAA members, myself included, engage in for-profit commercial
activities in the EV business.  There is nothing wrong, inappropriate, nor
inconsistent with this and at the same time being a member of the non-profit
FLEAA and participating in the FLEAA's non-profit activities to educate the
public about EVs and promoting their adoption *in general* (please note the
emphasis on the term "in general", as opposed to using the FLEAA to promote
one's own individual EV business interests specifically).

The important thing here is that one just has to make a distinction between
the two and at least try to make an honest effort to keep the two roles
separate, as much as possible, to know which of the two hats you're wearing
at which time and not to wear both hats at the same time, and specifically
to try to avoid blatantly and shamelessly using the FLEAA to promote one's
own EV business interests.  It is really just a matter of maintaining a
professional code of conduct and a modicum of ethics, of being honest, and
of making full disclosures about one's business interests when one discusses
in FLEAA forums or meetings certain products, services, or EVs in which one
has a financial interest.  As long as you or any other member observe such
simple rules of professional ethics, etiquette, and really just plain common
sense, you and all of us will be fine and not jeopardize the FLEAA's
non-profit status and run afoul of the law and IRS regulations in that
regard.

Maybe it would help to be more specific in the way of an example, so let me
just take myself, although I might not be the best example for explaining
this distinction.  I am investor in Vectrix (www.vectrix.com), a for-profit,
commercial company that manufactures and sells an electric motorcycle
through dealers around the country, including Foreign Affairs Auto in West
Palm Beach, which is Vectrix's South Florida dealer, and Jonathan Ortiz of
Foreign Affairs Auto is also a FLEAA member.  Foreign Affairs Auto in West
Palm Beach also sells other EVs, including the ZENN NEV and ZAP LSEVs.  All
of these are commercial, for-profit activities, and yet there is nothing
inconsistent or inappropriate with Jonathan Ortiz and myself being FLEAA
members, as long as we don't try to use the non-profit FLEAA to make
commercial solicitations and blatantly promote these EVs.  There's probably
a little bit of gray area and lattitude here, maybe a bit of a fine line,
between providing information to people on the one hand and frequent,
blatant, hard-sell promotion and advertising pitches on the other hand.
Again, I think it's just a matter of common sense and discretion.

I try to refrain from coming on the FLEAA list and constantly talk about the
Vectrix electric motorcycle and use up a lot of bandwidth on that, and
although I have ridden it to many of our meetings, I don't need to get up
and pitch it, etc.  It's there; people can see it; I don't need to say
anything; and most importantly, I have made plenty of disclosures to the
group that I am an investor in the company.  I also try to be honest and
open about discussing any shortcomings of the product.

You spoke of contributing to people's commercial EV businesses and how it
takes money to make business work, etc.  Here again, this is something that
I have done and continue to do.  I have contributed a small amount of my
time, effort, some travel, and a little bit of money to one of our FLEAA
members' EV conversion business, Steve Clunn of Grassroots EV
(www.grassrootsev.com), in Ft. Pierce, in order to support Steve's small
business and help it grow.  I do not have any financial interest in Steve's
business, no ownership interest, no shares, no profit or revenue sharing,
and no written or unwritten/verbal/gentlemen's agreements or understandings
with Steve of any such interest or revenue sharing for me in the future.  I
have contributed to a commercial, for-profit business of one of our members
simply to help it grow and succeed but without any expectation of anything
in return for myself.  If I do a kitcar EV project with Steve at some point
in the future, as I would like to do and have discussed with Steve and
others in the FLEAA, my understanding and agreement with Steve is that I
will do so by paying him his full, standard commercial rates for his time
and labor, without getting any break due to my past contributions to his
business.  My contributions to Steve's business were also mentioned in a
recent article about his business in the Palm Beach Post.

When people ask me for a referral to commercial conversion businesses or
services here in Florida, at the present time I am referring people to two
converters:

1) Steve Clunn of Grassroots EV in Ft. Pierce
    tel: 772-971-0533
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    www.grassrootsev.com

and

2) Lowell Simmons of Miramar High School in Miramar
    tel: 754-323-1422
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    www.miramarev.com

Like Steve Clunn, Lowell Simmons has been doing conversions here in Florida
for over 10 years and is excellent at it and very professional.  The last I
heard from Lowell, he is available to take on a conversion project right
now, and I recommend him.  I also recommend my good friend Steve Clunn, but
in all honesty, I also like to point out that while Steve's work is also
very good and solid, he does not always put the highest priority on the
aesthetics and cosmetic appearance aspects, unless the customer really
insists on it and gives Steve a lot of extra time on those things, but
rather Steve tends to concentrate more on just the functionality aspects of
the conversion.  I also made this point in the Palm Beach Post article on
Steve's conversion business.

So I think the general point here is one of just trying to be as open,
honest, and transparent as possible; to make full disclosures about one's
business interests and even one's contributions to others' businesses, even
where there is no agreement or expectation of any financial return or
ownership interest; to try to maintain some professional ethics, use common
sense, and not use the non-profit FLEAA to crassly and blatantly promote
one's own EV business interests or those of any one particular EV business
over another.

Let me make one last point here, again by way of example, coming full circle
back to my non-profit services that I provide to FLEAA members with regard
to parts & service support for RAV4-EVs and their offboard inductive
chargers.  There would be absolutely nothing wrong or inappropriate with me
setting up my own for-profit commercial business to do that and then even
informing everyone over the FLEAA list that I have done so and that my
RAV4-EV commercial services are available.  I could very well do that.  But
I have made a conscious, deliberate, *PERSONAL* decision not to do so and to
offer these services free of charge on a non-profit basis as a FLEAA member.
(Please note my emphasis on the word "PERSONAL" -- this was simply a
*personal* decision and not one dictated by FLEAA rules or ethics.)  Having
done that, and not having set up a for-profit company to do so, I am
therefore identifying these non-profit, non-commercial RAV4-EV support
services primarily through my membership and association with the FLEAA.
The important point here is again, as I said above, just to remember and
keep straight which role and which hat one is wearing at any given time and
not to mix the two.  If I want to identify a service as one that I am
providing as a "FLEAA member" to fellow FLEAA members, and therefore am
primarily identifying such service in association with the FLEAA, then in
keeping with the FLEAA's non-profit status, I'd better be darn sure that I
adhere to the letter and spirit of that non-profit status and be squeaky
clean about it.

I hope this helps to clarify the situation and the important point that you
have raised, Greg.  And I'm glad that you did raise it, because I think this
is an issue that needs to be addressed and emphasized from time to time,
just to make sure that we all understand the role of the FLEAA and the
rules, limits, and bounds of its non-profit status.

By the way, all of this is just my own understanding and interpretation of
these rules, limits, and bounds.  I don't claim to be the ultimate authority
or have the final word in speaking for the FLEAA on this subject.  That
would ultimately be our President, Shawn Waggoner, who would speak for the
FLEAA on this.  If anyone else has anything to add or any different
interpretations, I would welcome it as a valuable addition to this important
subject.

Thanks again, Greg, for weighing in with your contribution to this
discussion.

Best regards,

Charles Whalen
Florida EAA