Al,

Congratulations and commendations to you for your excellent work, tireless
efforts, persistence, and perseverance in promoting EVs in Polk County,
despite the occasional disappointment of such an important message, cause,
and solution sometimes falling on deaf ears of some of the more
intellectually-challenged, closed-minded members of the media who don't seem
to be able to connect a few pretty simple dots and see some mighty
compelling logic, seemingly ignoring the glaring problem of $4 gasoline (and
rising by the day) staring them and their irate, desperate readers in the
face every day.  Some of us who have also dealt with such frustrations from
time to time know what it's like and therefore empathize with you in your
and all of our common struggle in that regard.

It sounds to me like you could benefit from a few key allies in Polk County
in spreaheading the cause there, as you are doing so valiantly.  One you
might consider is the municipally owned and operated utility, Lakeland
Electric, which, according to my understanding, has long been considered the
most progressive utility in the entire state.  I believe that Lakeland
Electric was the first utility to adopt net-metering for residential PV
systems, while FPL has still not done so, now waiting for full
implementation of the PSC's provisional decision on adopting net-metering
for the entire state, which was then followed up with some sort of
net-metering provision (which I had a hard time understanding its exact
meaning, despite reading it a few times) in the big omnibus energy bill
passed by the legislature in Tallahassee several weeks ago, and has been
signed, or soon will be, by the governor, I gather.  I'm not sure what steps
remain for full implementation of fully mandated net-metering statewide, but
Lakeland Electric was there and did it long before everyone else, as much as
a decade or more ago, I believe.

There is one person I know of there at Lakeland Electric who has a strong
interest in EVs and PHEVs.  His name is James Stanfield.  Here is his
contact info:

James Stanfield
Lakeland Electric
501 E. Lemon Street
Lakeland, FL 33801
tel: 863-834-9535
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Maybe you and Fran could contact him and get him and Lakeland Electric
involved in organizing an EV awareness and promotional event (of the many
types you yourself have been doing there in the last year) when Fran stops
there on her EV/PHEV tour.

Good luck and best regards,

Charles Whalen
Florida EAA