_Battery  shortage hurts hybrid sales - AutoWeek Magazine_
(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/FREE/839904812/1528/newsletter01)

Battery shortage hurts  hybrid sales

By _RICHARD  TRUETT, AUTOMOTIVE NEWS_ (http://www.autoweek.com/a
pps/pbcs.dll/personalia?ID=ANTRUETT&category=contact)

(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/FREE/839904812/1528/newsletter01&template=zoom&Site=CW&Date=20080609&Category=FREE&ArtNo=83990
4812&Ref=AR&Profile=1528&CRED=)

(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/FREE/839904812/1528/newsletter01&template=zoom&Site=CW&Date=20080609&Category=FREE&ArtNo=83990
4812&Ref=AR&Profile=1528&CRED=)
Ford can get about  25,000 battery packs a year for the Ford Escape Hybrid,
shown, and its  stablemate, the Mercury Mariner Hybrid.
____________________________________

With gasoline at $4 a gallon, the market is screaming for  more hybrids. But
sales of hybrids dropped significantly in  May.

Battery shortages are crimping supplies of the Ford Escape Hybrid  and Toyota
Prius, two of the top-selling hybrids.

Prius sales dropped  37.5 percent in May to 15,011 compared with May 2007.
Combined sales of the  Escape Hybrid and its stablemate, the Mercury Mariner
Hybrid, dropped 26.0  percent to 2,378 last month.

_General Motors_
(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/FREE/839904812/1528/newsletter01#)
 ' big SUV hybrids are not  selling well
because of their high prices and limited fuel savings.

For  the Escape and Mariner hybrids, Ford Motor Co. can get about 25,000
battery  packs a year from Sanyo Electric Co., its Japanese supplier. Ford is
on
track  to produce about that many Escape and Mariner hybrids in 2008.

"I think  we have something like 700 of them in stock, and something like 400
of them  are in California. Try to find one in Florida. I think there were
nine in the  whole state," George Pipas, Ford's sales analyst, told Automotive
News.

Prius shortage

Bob Carter, the head of Toyota's  U.S. operations, said limited supplies
hobbled Prius sales.

"A year  ago, our supplies were at record level in Prius," he said. "Now
we're in that  catch-up mode."

Toyota couldn't ramp up battery production fast enough  to build enough
Priuses to meet demand, Carter said. Hybrids use an internal  combustion engine
and
one or more electric motors to power the  wheels.

_GM_
(http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/FREE/839904812/1528/newsletter01#)
  has had trouble launching hybrid  versions of the
Saturn Vue and Aura and Chevrolet Malibu this year because of  problems at its
battery supplier, Cobasys.

A battery recall in December  forced GM to replace about 9,000 faulty battery
packs from Cobasys in 2007  model vehicles. GM used batteries destined for
2008 vehicles to repair the  recalled models, causing a battery shortage this
year.

GM likely will  be short of the Malibu and Saturn hybrids for the rest of the
summer,  according to a source familiar with GM's hybrid production plans.
But GM  expects to crank up hybrid production in the fall.

GM's hybrid cars  have been in high demand in part because the option costs
less than $2,000.  They are mild hybrids; that means the electric motor assists
propulsion, but  the cars can't run on battery power alone.

The Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid  and GMC Yukon Hybrid are more efficient full
hybrids; that means they can run  on batteries alone. They have sold slowly in
part because their stickers are  high. The Tahoe Hybrid starts at $50,490,
including shipping.

Its fuel  economy is 50 percent better than that of the standard Tahoe but
still modest  at 21 mpg city and 22 mpg highway. Only about 1,000 Tahoe Hybrids
and Yukon  Hybrids have been sold this year.

Needed: More  batteries

Toyota's Carter denied a suggestion from a reporter that  his company was
deliberately holding down its Prius supply to encourage  customers to buy other
models with higher profit margins.

The 15,011  Priuses sold in May compare with 24,009 in May 2007. The Camry
Hybrid also was  down in May with sales of 5,999, down 12.5 percent from a year

ago.

"We're pushing for every bit of production we can get," Carter  said. "We're
working very closely with our suppliers to increase that  capacity."

NlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0aW1lAzEyMTMwNDY2NzY-)  (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email:  _Switch  delivery to Daily Digest_
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Delivery: Digest)  | _Switch  to Fully
Featured_ (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Delivery
Format: Fully Featured)
_Visit  Your Group _
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EVADC;_ylc=X3oDMTJkc2Y1ZHBoBF9TAzk3NDc2NTkwBGdycElkAzc0NTY4MzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MjEyBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA
2hwZgRzdGltZQMxMjEzMDQ2Njc2) | _Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use _
(http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/) | _Unsubscribe  _
(mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])