The owner is posting only to the Corvair groups so far, so I thought I'd
help him get the word out a little.

IF you read this carefully about a dozen times, you'll figure out that
it's not a hybrid with a gas turbine. It just uses a turbine's  (*read
turboprop, probably not a jet engine)starter-generator for a motor. I'd be
worried
about continuous duty on it, but I bet it's built really strong.   Every
turboprop I've flown has a starter that turns into a generator once the
engine is at speed- no jet engines that I know of do this, as we use high
pressure air to start a jet engine (I'm sure that there are exceptions to this
rule).

Rob

it was nice talking to you this morning. the car i  have is a 1962 monza
coupe. it was converted to electric propulsion as a  research project by the
university of florida in mid 1970"s, before the first  oil embargo. it is a
plug in with no underway charging capibility other than  regenerative
braking.it has a gas turbine starter/generator direct coupled to  the input
shaft
of the 4speed manual trans.I have been told that articles about  it appeared
in engineering and corvair enthustist pubs of that time.The top  speed was
60mph with a range of 100 miles before charging .this was the best
performance and was accomplished using regular heavy duty lead acid marine
batteries
of the time.As I told you ,I rescued it from under an oak tree and it
remaines unrestored.It has rusted out floor pans ,plenty of rust in the
trunk/firewall areas accelerated ,i am sure, by all the handling and off
gassing
of the many batteries.I plan to put an ad in the July edition of the
Communique  so any attendee of the International convention in Jacksonville
that
might be  interested in buying it can see it while in the area.It would be a
shame for  this piece of history to be lost.I can be contacted by Email
-address is  baermelrose @ windstream.net ;telephone 352-475-5767 ;mail
P.O.Box
656,Melrose,Fl.-32666.Thanks,John Baer

Steps!