Hi,

I'm not sure if I've done it correctly but I've done it!

This is what I've done.

*         I created a publishing portal.

*         Then I created a new page (Home.aspx) with a customised page layout
(CustomPageLayout.aspx).   These custom page layout has only the title and page
content.

*         Change the default page to Home.aspx

*         Then save the site as template via .../_layouts/savetmpl.aspx as as
"Save as Template" option is not existing in Site Settings.

*         Then I create a site using the site template above

Your newly created site will have Home.aspx as the welcome page.  If you want
to have default.aspx as the welcome page, you have to create a new site
definition.

My 2 cents.

Thanks.