From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Craig Bailey [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 23 September 2008 11:54 AM
To: listserver@ozMOSS.com
Subject: [OzMOSS] Using Windows SharePoint Services from a non-MOSS intranet
page

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone has come across this scenario before.

We have a client with an intranet (non MOSS) that lists Word documents. They’d
like to integrate this with Office (ie just like SharePoint does ☺).
They don’t want to install MOSS, but would be open to using WSS (since it can
easily be installed on their server).

One option is of course to move all their documents over to WSS and get them to
use that, but they’d prefer never to see the WSS site.

I’m wondering if there is a way that they could hook into the WSS services from
their own intranet application and somehow pass through the requests to WSS.
I imagine the documents would be stored in WSS and somehow linked to from their
intranet.

Has anyone done this before?

The ideal user experience is that they click to edit a document on their
intranet, and behind the scenes it uses WSS to manage the document opening in
Word, and then any updates from Word getting saved back to WSS, and this in
turn updated back to the intranet.

WSS does all the document handling well, so I’m trying to save them re-writing
all that nice Office integration stuff in their own app.

Thanks,
Craig

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.craigbailey.net |+61 413 489 388 |
twitter.com/craigbailey
Don’t miss August de los Reyes at SBTUG this
Wed<http://www.craigbailey.net/live/post/2008/09/14/SBTUG-Next-Wed-24-Sep-2008-ndash3b-August-de-los-Reyes-Mitch-Denny.aspx>