A client is getting an error when trying to configure an indexer in an SSP.

 "The path for the index location is not valid"

If I create the indexer on the central administration server it works fine, but
if I try and create it on the second app server that is allocated the 'Office
SharePoint Server Search' service to it throws this error. The path I am
configuring it to exists on both servers and the security permissions are the
same.

I googled the error and only one real suggestion came up which was that someone
had this issue when MOSS was installed not in the default location. I checked,
and the client had installed it on 'D:\SharePoint Server 2007\12.0'.

Their Dev environment doesn't have a second app server, so the indexer role is
on central admin and runs fine. It appears to be because the indexer is on a
machine other than central admin!

BTW - This has all been done via the Central Admin UI.

Has anyone else had any experience with installing MOSS in the not default
location? or any issues with creating an indexer on a separate server to
Central Admin?

Cheers,

Jeremy Thake
Readify | Senior Consultant