Hi Ross! (long time no speak) :)

1)      You have a number of options, essentially the easiest way is to tap
into the Windows Communication Foundation services and utilize this option.
It's essentially sending data over the wire in XML format, Silverlight has
great hooks already built in to handle these type of requests. We're also
looking to do more here to make things more seamless in upcoming versions. I
can't say more than that, but it will get a lot easier in the long term.

2)      That's the intent going forward. We see a great deal of positive power
with using LINQ inside Silverlight and WPF. It's almost safe to say out loud to
think of LINQ as  you're Data Passport between client and server. There will be
more expansion on this in the future as well.

3)      Security will remain similar or if not the same as ASP.NET today. The
difference is on the client, you essentially need to architect in such a way
that the initial "first ask" is defining whom the person is and what their
session may look like. From there, it's a case of "CanIHaveAccessTo(args)"
style security access (given you're in a non-Refresh situation - assuming this
is a 100% Silverlight App by the way). Now, the danger here is if not
architected correctly is that you can fake the "true/false" responses, so the
further piece to this is to maybe consider using XAML over the wire. In that
"can I have access to ViewAllUsrProfiles?, If the answer is true, you
essentially trigger a .xap download or you load .XAML remotely, via an ASP.NET
page (pushing the content). As this will also be a secondary check to make sure
they did indeed have positive response to the question"

4)      Could you expand on the Binary Formatter? I.e. what do you have in mind?

5)      We're working on smarter ways to go between Client and Server, but
can't say much just yet on what that will look like. We're still actively
planning features and so feel free to expand on what you're thinking here as
I'm more than happy to walk this into the next planning meeting and discuss
with the team.

P.S
I'll be back home in Brisbane (currently Belinda and I are living in Seattle
now) around XMAS time. So if you're still stuck around then, I'm sure we can
find a E&Y event to meet up at and discuss in depth over a beer or two. Failing
that, feel free to contact me offline to discuss in depth should the above not
be enough (same goes for anyone on this list btw).

--
Scott Barnes
(Rich Platforms Product Manager)