We also had that glow plug problem with Jan's 240D in cold weather.
Diagnosed by mechanics advice and confirmed with ohm meter.  Replaced the
glow plugs and the engine started right up.

Speaking of diesel and cold weather, I recently read about a fuel problem
story involving a B-52 airplane.

The ambient temperature was -20* F.  Jet fuel absorbs water.  There were
three fuel filters in series on each engine.  Numbers one and three had
bypass valves that allowed fuel to pass if the filter became blocked.
Number two did not.  All eight engines started shutting down on takeoff.
Co-pilot very busy trying to restart them.  Emergency go-around but came up
short.  Three out of five aircrew survived, three men in an electronics
shack hit by an engine pod did not.  All three fuel filters full of ice.
Why number two fuel filter did not have a bypass valve the story didn't
say.  Investigations were  reopened on 200 unexplained crashes in light of
the above.

90% of diesel problems are caused by not providing a plentiful supply of
clean fuel.

Norm
S/V Bandersnatch
Lying Julington Creek FL