On 12/27/2010 03:36 PM, ahmet erkan wrote:
>"I did try using a GFCI on the engine room circuit but the environment in the ER was too damp and it wouldn't hold.
>I have not tried it elsewhere but I don't know why they wouldn't work.
>Even though the neutral is floating (on my boat), all the non-current carrying metal parts are still grounded."

With a "floating Neutral", the GFCI is going to detect a current from hot terminal through a person to earth and trip open only if the neutral insulation has also broken down to ground, similarly GFCI is going to detect a current from neutral through a person to earth and open only if the hot line insulation has also broken down to earth. (I believe
Norm has also said this in different words)
If one wants to use GFCI devices with a floating Neutral, I suggest he/she (so PC) connects a 1uF capacitor from the hot line to ship's ground and another 1uF capacitor from the neutral to the ships ground. Both capacitors should be connected to the line side of the GFCI device. (ie: at the 120V secondary of your shielded isolation transformer preferably close to the transformer for noise attenuation purposes) "60V is safer than 120V" in fact the 48V used by the phone company is actually the terminal voltage of a 48V rated battery that is typically at 55V and could go to 60V during equalize. At the phone company we routinely worked on the 48V live equipment and touched the negative terminal (positive terminal is grounded for galvanic
corrosion prevention) without worrying about getting electrocuted.
So there you are, a +/-60Vac ships system with a GFCI protection device that will trip if there is more than 5mA imbalance between the hot or neutral currents and a little safer than your floating Neutral system. The imbalance will occur and interrupt the circuit either during a "heavy wet contact" by the user or if there is a fault in the system. The GFCI used in a grounded neutral system cannot detect Neutral to Ground type ground faults reliably due to lack of a supply to drive the current but the +/- 60V system _should_ detect either Hot to ground or Neutral
to ground insulation failures equally reliably. (Do test anyway)
The capacitors should also work in tandem with the shield during lightning storms and provide common mode attenuation to voltage spikes in the order of 120dB. The capacitors should also work in tandem with the leakage inductance of the isolation transformer and provide normal mode attenuation to voltage spikes proportional to
frequency of the disturbance.
Again, test for proper functionality of any system before relying on it for safety. This method of wiring is just a paper design at this time and has not been verified, I can verify using my isolation transformer and a GFCI receptacle or a CB from Home Depot and provide the results to the list if anyone wants
to implement it?
BTW who is Dr. Oz? A friend of George Orwell? I learn so many things on this list.
Fair winds
S/V 8827
Ahmet