Hi to everyone on the list,

I shared the following with a few friends on the list who want to be copied on
emails to family while we cruise, but there was a learning experience available
so I thought others here might find it interesting.

WE ARE CURRENTLY CROSSING FLORIDA TO WEST We came through the St Lucie locks a
little while ago and now are a couple of hours from the low 49 foot RR bridge,
with a mast we think is right up there with the antennas... but Lake Okeechobee
is down so maybe we can get through the bridge.  Its pretty still so we may
approach it in reverse and see if we can fit before anything else.

WE ANCHORED NEXT TO ICW FOR THE STORM Tuesday night anchored just North of
Jupiter,  just off the ICW where a heavy storm was forecast to come through. It
was getting late in the afternoon and our friends we were traveling with (Norm
and Pam in CHANCE, the boat I owned 10 yrs ago after I first started
subscribing to the list) agreed we had made a long haul. The heavy storm squall
line came threw between 10:30 and midnight and winds  up to 50 in 1st gusts. It
was a terrific storm but none of the lightning got us this time, unlike the
Spring.

WE ALMOST WRECKED ANGEL LOUISE ON A BRIDGE - Bridge tenders often want you to
get too close (especially when current is pushing you towards them).  The
bridge tender just south of Jupiter Federal made us wait thirty minutes to the
next half hour opening when he said we were too far back...(we weren't too far
back as it takes three minutes for most of them to open).  Anyway, just as we
arrived at Jupiter Federal I was too close and almost lost the boat under the
bridge - the U.S. #1 Federal Bridge! What a scare! Tide was full speed going
out toward the ocean.  Though operator said they were opening for us and did
all but lift - he delayed opening the bridge. I Was upstream, going downstream
toward bridge to the East in the direction of the ocean, way too fast due to
heavy current but did not realize it would get worse... This time I got too
close, while expecting the opening as promised, and it did not open. I tried to
turn right and do a 180 degree turn back to head back upstream. As i tried to
turn back I realized tide was way too fast and strong had me and was going to
sweep us into and under the bridge as I was 1/2 way into the180 degree turn. If
I continued the turn I was just going to go out of the channel (to the right)
that goes thru the draw bridge and would be swept under the bridge. I was
behind the power curve and had the taste of ashes in my mouth realizing the
danger - but at last second the bridge started to open.  It was only partly
opened and I was approaching broadside fast with my left side leading and front
too close to the right fender boards channel as we proceeded ... fearing I
would hit the right side with the left bow.   So, as we were swept towards the
huge bridge with the left side of the boat toward the right side of the bridge
boards I put the twin 37 hp Yanmars  in full reverse (left transmission has not
been working well and is due for an overhaul) and went full power all reverse
in an attempt to back up to the small opening & liting part that would open
first. Angel Louise responded just cleared the center opening (crosswise) far
enough into the mid-channel.   I did not know if I would make it, but
apparently did.  My Co-Capt Sue ran to the bow of our 41 foot Catamaran with a
big fender as she realized our distress to shield us from the fender boards if
we got swept into it by the strong current. We whizzed just inches from them,
the current probably pushing us away from them a little. We were swept all the
way under the bridge (Port side leading )still turned 90 degrees to our right
side! If the above is all jumbled together - so was the event. A guardian Angel
was fortunately looking after Angel Louise and we were pushed through fast
without hitting anything... gaining control upon exit and turning left. Whew!

As I left the other side, I got on the radio and said with a smile in my
voice,"ANGEL LOUISE IS CLEAR." The young bridge tender said he was sorry -
that this was the first time he had opened the bridge.  Hope the exciting
experience is not repeated by me or anyone on this list as it is a little too
much excitement.   After telling the event to a friend with twenty years
cruising experience he advised he had actually approached and gone through a
bridge backwards when there was a flood current as you have more control if
everything goes to hell.  Norm on Bandersnatch shared some of his vast
experience too, but I will not copy that but hope he will.

I have probably gone through hundreds of draw bridges all up and down the East
Coast, but this will remain my most memorable.  Wish someone had a Youtube
video of it.. It would be a hit.

SUE AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL (& SAFE) DAY!

Ed & Sue Kelly aboard USSV Angel Louise
DC Based SKYPE Phone # (202) 657-6357 please leave message for us
You can see map and travel progress at http://tinyurl.com/EdandSue

daily short posts on the web of experiences at http://twitter.com/@captedkelly