So far, SmartPlug only offers the30-ampere boat-side receptacle, the matching 30 A boat-side plug for your shore power cable, and the made-up 30 A shore power cable, with the 30 A boat-side SmartPlug on one end and a conventional 30 A shore-side connector on the other end. I really like the new made-up shore power cable, as I found it painfully difficult to install the SmartPlug boat-side plug in place of the boat-side plug on a new Marinco shore power cord.

The SmartPlug boat-side shore power receptacle has a thermostat the opens the hot lead if the connector overheats, thereby delaying the fire somewhat, until the thermostat fails from repeated arcing as it overheats, opens, cools down, closes again - again and again. Unfortunately, the built-in thermostat only opens the hot (black) wire, and not both hot and neutral -- so you STILL need (as required by ABYC E-11) a reverse polarity detector and alarm on your boat, to guard against mis-wired marina shore-side outlets.

And, especially if you keep your boat in fresh water, an isolation transformer would be a Very Good Thing. Or at least the newly-required ELCI (Equipment Leakage Circuit Interrupter). You don't want to be responsible for electrocuting some kid who is swimming in the marina. (_Never _swim in a marina, especially a fresh-water marina!)

James Maynard
S/V Mistress of Portland, Oregon
Baba 30 #4

On 2011-03-01 03:09 PM, Ben Okopnik wrote:
On Tue, Mar 01, 2011 at 06:00:49PM -0500, Jim Lynch wrote:

I saw a blurb on the SmartPlugs on a podcast the other day.  It looks
like a real improvement over Edison's design. :)

It might be worthwhile looking into:

http://www.smartplug.com/
<http://www.smartplug.com/products/inletandconnector.html>
The only problem is, it's only a boat-side connection. Still doesn't
solve the problem of the plug at the marina end getting burned/damaged
by the poor connection on that end.

Ben