Hi Rufus,
I appreciate all the inputs my friend.
Don't worry about offending me, I learned to accept many people just the way
they are, even the bullies are not a big
problem for me anymore, I keep thinking about the injustices they must have
faced during their childhood and
cut them lots of slack. Pirates are a different story though, I would kill them
at first chance with any means
available to me and with no regard to their childhood. Kill or be killed is an
extremely simple decision.
Anyway getting back to nicer thoughts like maintaining our 900A/H bad boy
batteries :
1. The efficiency for a low power device may be misleading. What matters is the
amount of wasted power.
At 85% efficiency and 138W output we are dissipating only 24Watts. About the
same power as one tail light.
Some folks said their daily energy usage was about 100AH. Although Ampere Hours
is not a unit of energy,
 lets say it is 100A X Average Battery Voltage X 1Hour of energy. If we restore
80% of this energy running the engine
with a 110Amp alternator for about one hour we have 20 X Average Battery
Voltage X 1Hour of more energy to restore.
At 10A this will take only 2 Hours because the lead acid battery as you know
will recharge close to 100% efficiency at
low current charging. 24W dissipation for two hours averaged over 24 hours is
like 2W. Considering a night light is
about 15W the power wasted by our equalizer is not going to be anything
significant. Run the Diesel for an extra
hour at tapering current and you will waste several orders of magnitude more
energy I would think. Not to mention
the possible wet stacking damage, wasted runtime between engine maintenance,
the noise annoyance etc, we are
golden with the DC/DC.
2. The voltage reference for the float and equalize levels comes from the 5V
"band gap" reference from the Linear
Technology LT1247 integrated circuit we are using. The data sheet claims the
reference is 0.2% accurate from 0C to
50C temperature. This is good enough thermal stability for me. I don't need to
know what a band-gap reference is.
3. Temperature compensation is manual.
Also, the equalizer does not have the power to overheat a 450A/H battery even
if the battery has a shorted cell. Your
120Ampere alternator will overheat a defective battery during the bulk charge.
4. Although I will have doomsday fuses inside the box these fuses will not
protect the three 16AWG wires connecting the
terminals of the battery switch to the equalizer. I think we should add three
wires with large ring lugs and 15A
in line fuses to be wired to the battery switch terminals and include it as an
installation kit. Thanks, for the excellent point.
Give my respects to Mr. Murphy too, and let's keep him out of our box.
By the way, I forgot to add the color options to the spec.
Hey how about we use Mr. Henry Fords idea. "You can have it in any color you
like as long as it is black".
Cheers Buddy

By the way Rufus, do you want to be the beta test boat for the "breadboard" in
couple of Months?
Notice I downgraded the prototype to a breadboard status because I don't want
to incur an extra $500 PCB spin cost.
The homemade wiring board will be quite reliable though. It has to pass the DVT.