We came out the St Lawrence last year in a 39 foot monohull.  Kingston,
Ontario to Sandy Hook, NJ was 2051 nautical miles, so our actual travel time
was around 420 hours, but we spent 3 months doing it as we wanted to see things
along the way.  We spent a week in the Sanguenay River, a week on PEI, a week
in Halifax for Hurricane Earl.  8 St Lawrence Locks (45 foot drop - must have 2
persons on board, $200).  Speaking French is a plus. You have to add the
mileage to get to Kingston.  We came through the Straits of Canso between Cape
Breton & Mainland Nova Scotia.

Pros:
Mast Up
Very beautiful, Scenery in Quebec is fantastic
1000 Islands was beautiful
Lots of great marinas and stops; you have to stop at the Sanguenay river
(whales)
Great restaurants in Quebec
Prince Edward Island was very nice - great people.
Great people in Nova Scotia
Great adventure

Cons:
Extensive motoring
Limited anchoring
Extreme tides requiring a lot of planning
Need to get cracking.  Gulf of St. Lawrence & Nova Scotia is rough & cold in
the fall.  (Cold offshore even in the summer)
Crossing Bay of Fundy / Gulf of Maine a challenge in the best of weather.

St. Lawrence would be shorter than going to Chicago and then down Mississippi.
In a cat you would be faster than I was.  What about hauling it and leaving it
at Cayuga?

Let me know if you want more info (we figured out a lot of cruising guides that
were very helpful).   I was also from Chicago so know some of the issues going
that way (mast down).

Bill