Lee,

If you are stateside in a state or USCG doc boat, no flag required.

Outside the US? You bet one is required......

I understand that requirement is buried in some international law
( has to do with "stateless" ships) but have never been able to find it.

Oh yes, to round out the info, if you are outside the US, the visiting
country has a DEFINITE say on the quality of your courtesy flag... not
its size, but how it looks...

Do not ask how I know this...
Lee

PS: I would still fly the flag. If the police board you in a not so
happy mood, my guess is s/he would find "something" and resolving that
issue would cost more than an flag...

Lee and Zehra Licata
M/Y LeeZe
Cesme Marina, Cesme Turkey