Hi, all, and a Merry Christmas for those who find today important...
Just a reminder - I don't recall if it was this list where I last discussed
it - you DON'T have to replace hoses, nor take them out on the dock and
beat them to get rid of buildup, nor put up with stinky (PVC or not)...
 If you only have holding tanks, this could get problematic, but the
solution to calcification, and sulphur smells, is to not let any remain in
contact with the hose/pipe. If holding tank only, fresh water flush will
provide the same value without the volume seen below,  but I know that's
not possible for everyone.
 Start with your system as you have it when it's exposed to the sea, and
dry-pump (air only). Count the pumps it takes to make the outlet "burp" -
air comes out the bottom, rather than liquid.
 That's the number of pumps you'll have to do at minimum to replace the
volume in your pipes.
Every time you use the head, pump as you are using it (guys, you DO sit,
right? No accidents from unexpected motion??), which will dilute urine and
carry it and solids out more than just flushing afterwards.  When the bowl
is empty, run that number found above through it, ALSO, as a minimum. That
will thoroughly flush the entire system with new water. If there's no urine
or solids to hang around, there's no odor or deposits.
 Follow that up with insurance. Pump again, dry, until you hear the burps
(or some number you're confident of). Your antisiphon valve will keep the
water outside the boat, as the pipe is now pressurized (to the depth of
your hose under water) with air.
 I haven't yet put up the pix, unfortunately, for the fishfinder transducer
replacement portion of our current refit, but when I do there will be the
illustration of my interrupting the PVC-Yvalve connection to get that last
bit out of the way of the jack used to push the old one out.  That will
show not only how easy it was to do (a regular sanitation transition
rubber, and a third hose clamp over the butted-tightly intersection between
the hose transition and the PVC, slides off easily, but any possible seep
between the two will be inhibited by that third clamp), but, significantly,
4 years into its - the most active head aboard - use, not the first sign of
buildup (the hose and PVC is still white all the way around, inside).

Pump early and often :{))

L8R, y'all

Skip and crew, chillin (well, sweatin' in FL) for the holiday...

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig  KI4MPC

The Society for the Preservation of Tithesis commends your ebriated
and scrutible use of delible and defatigable, which are gainly, sipid
and couth. We are gruntled and consolate that you have the ertia and
eptitude to choose such putably pensible tithesis, which we parage.