On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 06:00:25PM -0500, Skip Gundlach wrote:
> :{))═ So do soda bottles when they have way too much pressure.═ What's your
> point? :{))

Poor choice for comparison, Skip. The fluid in the soda bottles may fly
in all directions; the polyethylene - what the bottle itself is made of
- just expands out from the point of failure. PVC actually shatters, and
the pieces fly in all directions. Given their mass, they can do, and
have done, serious damage and harm.

*That's* my point. :)

> Seriously, though, if there were Pex for sanitation (meet up with 1.5"
> connections), it sounds pretty cool.

First thing off Google:

http://www.pexsupply.com/Wirsbo-Uponor-F1061500-1-1-2-AQUAPEX-100-ft-coil-4786000-p

You probably don't need a 100' coil of it, but at ~$3/foot, that's not
bad.

> As it's cuttable with a knife, how resistant is it to puncture?═

[laugh] Give it a shot. Unless you're using a serrated knife, you'll
still be at it next week. Even if you use a serrated knife, and you try
it on that 1.5" pipe, you'll _still_ be there next week - it'll just
slide off. The only hand tool that works reasonably well is one of those
small, very sharp saws.  Otherwise, PEX is a PITA to cut - which makes
it awesome for protecting other stuff from chafe.

If you've never actually played with PEX, take a look at it next time
you're at Home Depot or whatever. It's one of those things that, if
you're a liveaboard, will make your brain light up and seethe with all
sorts of project ideas and "a-ha!" solutions and all kinds of future
plans. :)

> Back to the PVC, if it's hidden (no═sunlight═issues), I'd think it would hold
> up pretty well.═ And, as to explosive failure, how many home installations of
> sanitary pipe do you know of with failures?═ Even pressure water systems(?)?═

See, this might be the problem: scientists call it "filter bias". I
_have_ seen PVC fail, at least four times that I recall off the top. No
violent explosions, but one flooded kitchen, one broken sink drain (a gf
was rooting around under the sink and bumped the piping), one case of
plain dumbth (PVC pipe run through the engine compartment - have some
nice heat to cook off the volatiles!) which sprayed coolant everywhere,
and one installation where, as far as I can tell, the pipe had been
torqued and left under strain.

Oh, just recalled another: flood in the laundry room at a marina near
Beaufort, SC. They had water going to the washing machines through PVC
pipes fastened to the wall. and if I had to make a guess, I'd say that
the heat from the dryers had cooked them.

I'm not saying that you made a horrible choice and that "Flying Pig"
will sink instanter unless you replace all your plumbing. :) I am saying
that, if I ever had to do up a plumbing system, I don't see anything
that even comes close (e.g., the "Sharkbite" fittings take a couple of
seconds to install, require no glue, and there's pretty much no way that
they'll leak.)

"Ah, Your Majesty, there is no second."

:)

Ben
--
                       OKOPNIK CONSULTING
        Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business