On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 06:41:44AM -0400, Lee Haefele wrote:
> Doesn't the liveaboard list have a spam filter?   My spam filter
> rejects mail from a server that does not match the e.mail address.

Unfortunately, that approach won't work here.

[...]
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 05:24:36 -0600
[...]

That bottom transaction (which is the first one in the chain) is where
the spammers passed their garbage to Earthlink - and the Earthlink
server accepted it based on the "envelope-from" address. After that,
it's all valid exchanges up the chain - no way for the list server to
know that it's spam.

If all servers validated the "envelope-from" addresses against the
sending IP at transaction time, the spam problem would disappear
immediately. The mechanisms to do this are in place (all major servers
such as Google use so-called SPF records), but... there are millions of
mail servers in the world, and 99%+ of them are *not* run by
technically-competent people.

Ben
--
                       OKOPNIK CONSULTING
        Custom Computing Solutions For Your Business